Wednesday, 16 July 2008

Why do we do what we do?

I have a choice about the activities I take part in at church and the ways in which I choose to serve and worship God.

I was asked this week if I like an aspect of my service. I don't really think my response gave my feelings justice, but I hesitated and I questioned whether that said it all.

I was cross with myself really, because there is nothing I do that I dislike or feel is worthless, but passion and purpose has to take a place in what I do.

I wonder whether duty comes into it or do I do things because I've always done them? Are there default setting things that I just 'do'.

Ever since I made my Senior Soldier commitment to God, I've done what I think is right, serving in ways I feel have worth and worship to God.

At what point will I be brave enough not only to question my service but take action if necessary?

This month is five years since I arrived on the door step of Romford Corps. What a journey it's been (maybe a blog in itself!).

I'm reading a book, which I have been meaning to read for ages, "If you want to walk on water..." I've only read the preface so far, but already I sense a stirring; a prompting to take some action that has been bubbling for a while.

Is my hearing acute enough to hear what God is saying to me and will I be brave enough to follow the voice?

6 comments:

Liz said...

It's a dangerous book!

Thinking about you!

Anonymous said...

you've already started questioning otherewise this blog wouldn't have come into being :)

Dawn said...

Judy - I've got the go-ahead to 'do' Peace Week in my school.

Argh!!

Tried looking on the website to see what's happening in the Borough, but there's nothing there. Have emailed the contact but apparently he's 'out of the office' for a couple of weeks.

Do you/Nigel know of any Borough-wide events/initatives that we could get alongside?

Liz said...

Can't you start your own thing? Maybe other people need to be getting alongside YOU!

The kids could design a Peace Week t shirt - I'd LOVE to come one day that week and be peaceful with you :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Dawn - will ask Nigel when he get's in - he's at a cell group at the mo..

Anonymous said...

Nigel says he has info that he can send you - probably the best thing to do is email him and then he can email you back :)
nigel.schultz@salvationarmy.org.uk