Tuesday, 1 July 2008

Yourself last

Colossians 3 was shared with us on Sunday, from The Message.

It was used again tonight. And the same sentence stood out to me:

12-14So, chosen by God for this new life of love, dress in the wardrobe God picked out for you: compassion, kindness, humility, quiet strength, discipline. Be even-tempered, content with second place, quick to forgive an offense. Forgive as quickly and completely as the Master forgave you. And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it.
This week at work I've been in a position where I had to stand up for something I wasn't happy about. I checked my facts before facing the headteacher and presenting my concerns. In the build up to this I was warned that I may get more than I bargained for and I should be prepared to 'sell myself' should need the need arise. I went on to have the conversation that I'm not vey good at doing that and there'll always be someone else better than me - better to think worse of yourself and be better, than better of yourself and look stupid!

In other aspects of my life too, I am happier to step back and let someone else shine, take the credit. I'm happier to keep things to myself, let other people take the lead and generally take second place.

But sometimes.....I've realised that sometimes, I don't want that. God has commanded that we do it, but I'm bored of that. Even tempered? I want to let rip and scream "it's not fair!", I don't want to take second place all the time.