Thursday, 10 July 2008

Is celibacy really a choice?

On Monday at house group, the theme was Grace put to the test: Grace in the face of disagreement. Although the title doesn't suggest, the theme actually related to homosexuality and our Christian response to it.



It sparked very interesting conversation, not least around the idea of celibacy. It was discussed whether acceptance of a person would depend on their sexual practices i.e. if they were celibate, maybe they would be accepted 'easier' than a couple would be.



Question posed: would it be easier to show grace to a celibate Christian homosexual?



Intesting. I'm not really sure where I stand on the whole issue.



Having left house group, pondering, lots of thoughts going through my head, tonight I hit the world wide web, for a bit of wider reading. I love the WWW. It can be so controversial and contradictory, depending where you look.


One discussion we had circled around the idea of celibacy and whether, homosexual people should be denied a basic(?!)/natural (?!) (tricky word choice!) human need.

One website I came across stated this:

"Gays/lesbians should not be passively denied the possibility
of God-given love and intimacy by Christian denominations"

Hmm. As with a lot of discussions, I turned it into the 'How would I feel in this situation?' conversation in my head. Then I realised, that actually, it's not so far removed from where I'm at.

Being single, do I put aside my faith, all that I believe in and stand for, just because I have a basic(?!) / natural (?!) (tricky word choice, again!!!) human need?

The answer is no.

Has it helped me work out how I really feel?

No!

I just pray that in any and every situation I find myself in, God will continue grant me the grace I need.

1 comment:

Liz said...

What does 'passively denied' actually mean?

Either you deny someone something or your don't, surely.

Is there such a thing as a 'gentle no'...does that make it a 'maybe'?

Is this statement asking gays/lesbians to read the minds or certain body language of the members of the church to work out what their stance might be?

I don't get that at all!