Friday, 27 June 2008

I DO know what I'm doing.

At school recently an experienced teacher was asked if she'd ever regretted a decision she had made regarding punishments she'd given to children or things she'd said to parents.
She said that she never looked back and wished she'd done things differently because, in the moment, every decision is the right decision.
I suppose to a certain extent, I agree with her, retrospect is a strange thing and you can find yourself wishing you'd dealt with things differently, said or done things in a different way.
She went on to say that you have to be confident in yourself - you do know what you are doing and yes, experience counts for a lot, you simply learn from each experience and it may affect how you deal with the same/similar situation again, but not regret the decisions you made.
Hmmmm. Certainly something to think about. No one likes to think that they are wrong.
Although I still feel like a little girl, more and more, I am reminded that I'm not. The white hairs standing as a testament to that! And there are decisions that I think about. Decisions I have made, actions I have taken, things I have said. I wonder what would have happened if I'd done things differently, if I acted in a different way, said or kept schtum.
It's not a helpful exercise.
Another thing my colleague said was regarding people who supported her in decisions she had made. She explained that there have been times when people have seemingly withdrawn their support when the going got tough or appeared on face value to be supportive when actually they weren't. She said that was hard, but again, confidence in self had to play a huge part in not losing your head!
It's good to listen to people who've been there, done that and learn from their experience. I've been told this week that I am classed as one of the more 'experienced members of staff'. I only hope that the people over whom I have influence gain the right experience from me.

No comments: