Sunday, 30 November 2008

Not offended, just a little surprised.

Last Sunday afternoon, there was knock at the door from a Charity Volunteer, trying to get people to sign up to supporting his cause.

I answered, was given leaflet and he promised(!) to come back the following week once I'd had chance to read the information.

On leaving, the gentleman said "Thank you, Dawn, goodbye." As I closed the door, it started to dawn (!) on me that he had said my name. I laughed, convincing myself I'd misheard, but said to my housemate, "I'm sure he's just called me Dawn. How does he know my name. That's weird." We then realised that I still had my uniform on, with my Children's Ministry name badge. "I'm not sure I like that." I continued. I couldn't really out my finger on why, if you wear a name badge, surely it's so that people do know your name!

Anyway. Forgotten.....until now.

The very same gentleman kept his promise and has just knocked on the door. As soon as I opened it, there was a definite recognition, me thinking, he just remembered me opening the door the last time. However, when he spoke, he apologised:

"Oh hello. I remember you from last week. I offended you. I am sorry."
I looked confused.
"I heard you when you closed the door. You didn't like the fact that I called you by your name. I am sorry. This week I have worked hard not to do that."
"You didn't offended me," I went on, "I guess I was just little taken aback."
"Well, I am sorry."
So then I did the same, "Well, I am sorry that you heard me, I was surprised and couldn't work out how you knew it."

(Incidently, I was wearing EXACTLY the same....badge and all!)

His apology didn't make me support his charity, we both smiled and both had the opportunity to put apolgise.

Hmmm. You never know what people hear and remember.

No comments: