Sunday, 26 October 2008

Can fear and faith co-exist?

Friday: I have never blown up so many balloons in such a short space of time (and within seconds for them to pop!) I now feel a well qualified balloon stick-er.

Saturday: A very long day, ribbon cutting, formal speeches, church now officially 'ours', yet feeling very 'strange' and 'unknown'.

Sunday: This morning's meeting was pretty stunning. Worship began with the worship band, leading the congregation in sung worship. It's all taking a little getting used to...the new sound system etc and not being able to hear each other is an issue, but we introduced a new song, 'Mighty to Save'. During the penultimate singing of the chorus, the instrumentalists held back and for the first time ever, I felt a huge sense of other people's worship. I could hear the congregation's voices and they were 'with us'!

As the words rang out...

"Saviour He can move the mountains
My God is mighty to save
He is mighty to save
Forever author of salvation
He rose and conquered the grave
Jesus conquered the grave."
...emotion just over took me.
God was truly being worshipped.
As the meeting went on, it didn't stop there. Ann and Richard were talking about identity, the need to recognise that we have one, that we are significant....God cares for seemingly insignificant sparrows, so how much more must he care for us?
We were challenged to acknowledge our fears and simply have faith. Everything that they said, seemed personal. "Faith is only active during challenge", was the basic sentiment. At last check, my spiritual gift was 'faith'. As the days go on, I do wonder whether that is still the case, but at the moment, I do believe that God is in control. It's going to be ok, He's told me (that's a whole other blog I haven't got round to!) But it prompted me to think and ponder the question:
"can I/should I still feel fear if I am living by faith?"
I do believe at the moment, that God is guiding me very closely in life-changing decisions that I have to make. Almost as each day goes by, another 'spanner is thrown into the works' or a door is closed, which creates a dead end, directing me to the only other available option.
But having faith doesn't mean it's going to be easy. And I am scared about the process and the potential end result, even if I do believe it's right. Does that mean I don't faith?
Now, I am well confused!

1 comment:

Nic said...

Having faith doesn't mean that it will just automatically happen. You still have to make plans and explore all avenues...it's just as you say that doors will be closed and the outcome will be right in the end. It's just a big journey getting there! And it will all be worth it.