I don’t know whether it’s different in other churches, but for there is a legacy within the Salvation Army that once you become a Salvationist you will join one or more of the musical groups. Not everyone does this, but it’s generally accepted that that will happen.
It’s been no different for me. I don’t think now that that same expectations are there, the culture of our church has changed and is changing. When I moved to a new church, I made those decisions to get involved and serve God through the (dare I say?) the expected ways, but more because I value those forms of worship and service than following expectations.
It was right for the time, I believe, but times, as I said are changing and maybe it’s time for me to be changed too.
Recently I have been challenged from lots of different angles. Burdened in fact, which has prompted me to rethink my worship, my service and my mission.
I’ve taken to reading a book that I know will throw my thinking wider and deeper. ‘If you want to walk on water, you’ve got to get out of the boat’ is probably the wrong book to read when feeling like this as even before you read the end of the preface it cuts right to the point!
Early on the author challenges you to think about that ‘thing’ that scares you. The ‘thing’ that could threaten your faith. I’ve thought about it, prayed about it and over quite a long period of time, I feel it’s time to stop being scared and do something.
This Sunday I worshiped at my home corps. The officer’s theme was ‘He is my...refuge’ and I heard it in a completely new way. The word ‘refuge’ I associate with a place; “during a time of trial he sought a place of refuge” – a safe place, a place of protection, but the way that Gary presented it was ‘refuge as a time or space’. His thoughts went on to the need to seek refuge before a time of change, activity or in church’s terms, mission. This really struck a chord with me. He explained how sometimes we just can’t take any more, sometimes, when more and more activities/needs are placed on our time, we need to take time out, refuge, to evaluate what it is we’re about and how to address new challenges.
If I am seeking to make changes..... particularly in relation to realigning my mission....do I need to seek refuge? Do I need to take time out, to take a breath, to evaluate, to listen to God?
I already believe that God is pointing me in a particular direction, but maybe I need a bit of ‘refuge’ time, putting everything else aside to simply listen and wait.
4 comments:
Hmmmm.
Hmmmm.
Only a few more Hmmmm's and we will have a choir.
and that is SO not in the plan!
Post a Comment