Sunday, 31 August 2008

My head hurts


This is a picture of me (well, not quite me) in the early hours of this morning as I crawled out of bed, into my car on a wild goose chase, which I had prayed (hard!) would become fruitful.


Last night, as we left Sarah's Birthday barbeque at her parent's house, she was given a three birthday cards, one being from her brother who is currently travelling the world. Anyone who knows Sarah will be able to imagine the sheer excitement!


As she was about to go to bed, she asked where the cards were. They were no where to be found. Tears were shed, torches were lit as we braved the midnight streets, but to no avail.


I couldn't sleep. I retraced my steps in my mind over and over....and over. Her parents had checked the streets at their's so it just didn't make sense.


Having given up on the sleep idea, I eventually succumed, at least to resting my eyes if nothing else. As daylight began to show through I donned driving attire and pulled away in my mobile to scour the streets of Witham (well, her Mum and Dad's driveway!)


Although I crept out of the house, the mystery movements woke Sarah. I had left a note and pulled over in the fog to answer her quizzing call.


When she realised I was missing, she'd gone once more to check her car. She completey emptied her boot and what did she find hiding away at the back of the boot? Three birthday cards.


Before even reaching her parent's house I was able to make my return journey home, where, after a well needed cup of tea, I climbed back into my pyjamas and pretend it was night time all over again.


4 comments:

Mr Hall said...

Oh, so that's why you were falling asleep in ther meeting this afternoon.

Dawn said...

That would be the one, hence fuklly supoporting your sprinkler system!

Liz said...

I am actually speechless - there's random acts of kindness and there's madness. Seriously I'm sure Sarah didn't expect you to do that, so what a lovely mate you are.

Dawn said...

No she didn't, but I couldn't be 100% certian I hadn't dropped them! (things like that do tend to just happen to me!)