It was one of those snowfalls you'll never forget. Millions of white snowflakes filled the air.
The boy stood by the door. A stranger to snow. His eyes were blank. Unaware. His body clueless.
The moment arrived. He stepped outside.
Wonder filled the air.
Tuesday, 5 August 2008
Question of the day.
What's the difference between a truck and a lorry?
According to Wikipedia, a truck is a vehicle for carrying goods and materials. Lorry is a term used in the United Kingdom and Ireland, but is only used for medium and heavy types.
I have just bought Samuel a t shirt that has lots of vehicles on. At the top it says "A big Lorry" but at the bottom it says trucks! The debate just goes on!
12 comments:
The spelling?
According to Wikipedia, a truck is a vehicle for carrying goods and materials. Lorry is a term used in the United Kingdom and Ireland, but is only used for medium and heavy types.
Make sense?
Nope!
Thanks Liz!
And Nic, you say I have too much time on my hands?!
If we didn't have the word Lorry, we wouldn't be able to recite the rhyme, Red Lorry, Yellow Lorry, which doesn't sound the same with the word truck!!
But if we didn't have truck how would we recite this:
Two Truckee truckers truculently truckling
to have truck to truck two trucks of truck.
Oh dear!
Do you think it's a Northern thing?
Could be - we don't call trucks trucks, we call trucks lorries.
I don't think so, but I am feeling decidely 'northern' since being home. I'm sure you'll all have a go at sorting that out on my return!
I have just bought Samuel a t shirt that has lots of vehicles on. At the top it says "A big Lorry" but at the bottom it says trucks! The debate just goes on!
You are just going to confuse the poor little mite!
After a journey down the country, I think I may have a definition:
Lorry - has a detachable load
Truck - hasn't! Cab and trailer permanently attached.
Thanks to the 3 generations of Watson family who helped in this mattter on the way!
Post a Comment