Ok, so the thing is, every Sunday I wear my uniform. That's the only time (this is not a uniform debate) so the only people who see me in that are the people within my church.
I go from my front door, to the car, from the car to the army door and back again.
My uniform states the fact that I am Saved to Serve. That's my role in God's world. And the challenge from ROOTS this year - "Others" has left me with one overriding thought...
.....I am saved, but do I serve?
If I'm only doing half of that, then how dare I proudly wear that label?
And what can I do to change it?
5 comments:
If the only people who see us in our uniforms are the people that come to the church then does that mean we are only 'saved to serve' them? (Which you do a lot of!).
Should we wear our uniforms outside the church so that 'others' know we are 'saved to serve' them? (which we shoyuld only do if we truly are prepared to serve them!)
Sorry - asking more questions! That is my main role in life I think! Asking questions! If only there was a prize for it!!!
But it's not really about the uniform. That just simply states what I believe. What about practically? Am I living out what I have promised?
Observations on creating opportunities ‘to serve’
As you may know I like fish.
By preference wild brown ones.
I love the little darlings so much I support the ‘Wild Trout Trust’.
I recently bought two tiny enamel WTT pins, one to wear on my fleece, one to wear on my gilet / jerkin / body warmer around our over-air-conditioned office.
I have been amazed how many people - colleagues and random persons in lifts, have asked me about the pins and the work of the WTT. It has kicked off some truly odd conversations!
Buy some pins, t-shirts, pyjamas and a baseball cap with the SA crest on and start wearing them to work, rest and play (only one at a time though).
The SA crest is bigger than the golden arches - it is a truly global brand.
I reckon that will seed many conversations and give you the opportunity to make those oh so important connections, and thus…to further serve and save.
Best Regards,
Ellon G Tapeworm.
Ellon G Tapeworm...it took me a minute to register!
You might just be right! SP&S online shopping, here I come!
i wore a salvation army hat around roots for most of the weekend and got sooooo many funny looks and questions as to why i was wearing a salvation army hat! i mean its not like it was a salvation army event or anything!! one person even said ur not supposed to be wearing the uniform you know!!!... but actually... surely wearing uniform at events like roots is better than wearing the uniform to go from your house to your car and from the carpark to the church door?? i don't want to start a debate but what is the whole point of it. and im not just talking about the "normal" shirts and skirt uniform i mean polo shirts or anything!!!
Post a Comment