Recently I have become aware of how I am speaking and more specifically, the fact that I am avoiding saying certain words.
I am constantly thinking of alternative words, for example, I have got into the habit of saying 'jacket' instead of 'coat' (which I have to say at hometime every day!) to avoid that long, drawn out 'oa' sound that comes from my lips!
This is probably due to the fact that, living amongst Southerners (don't feel sorry for them, they can't help it!) it is highlighted quite a lot.
The other day, I sent a text message to an Essex girl saying "- - - - said oh on", passing on a message from one friend to another via my phone. It then dawned on me, as I am often laffed at (that's a northern laugh) for saying "oh no", that the recipient may read it in a northern accent, and as the message was from a southerner, I clarified it by writing in brackets (that's "oh no" in a southern accent).
I have since spent the last few days wondering in what accent I read 'stuff' and do people who receive texts of emails from me, read it in my accent (particularly when I shorthand laff instead of larf)?
8 comments:
Yes, I always read them in Northernish!
I am from the south and so I read and think in "Southernish"!!! So actually, I get really confused!!
Or is that coz I'm blonde!?!?!?!
when i read an email or a text i tend to read it in the voice of the person who sent it to me.. so when i read ur emails or texts yes i do read it in ur accent... its cool it makes me smile at times!!
YOu said, in the text - P said Oh no! So I heard it in P's voice!
Just to clarify that:)
Excellent, thanks, Liz! It did make us chuckle at worship band (small things, I know!)
But if it was me saying "oh no" in a text, would you have read it as me....or you?!
You!
I don't think I would...I just read the texts. I don't 'hear' it I think about its meaning! Am I weird?
No comment!
Post a Comment