Today's reading, Sunday School and meeting all centered around the same theme: Love is Kind, using the story of The Good Samaritan as a basis.
We were challenged in the meeting, this morning, to have open eyes to see the needs around us and to actually do something, like the Samaritan. We focused on recognising the needs of others, opening our hearts towards the need and the effort involved in responding to this.
It's a huge challenge, acknowledging that if we do this, we must be prepared for it to interrupt our lives.
I am struggling at the moment to respond to the needs of others. And it hurts me to say. I am so wrapped up in myself and my own issues. I don't have the brainpower, emotional capacity or, dare I say, the will to deal with other's needs. I don't think it's my normal state of affairs, I hope it isn't, but it just seems to be going on for so long....I want out!
I am not oblivious to the people around me who love me and are putting themselves out for me, but this morning really reminded me that I don't have the strength to be that Good Samaritan, at the moment, and I really do need people looking after me.
I am interrupting people's lives.
Big style.
People are going out of their way for me.
Big style.
I need hugs.
BIG STYLE.
None of this I can do on my own and I just hope and pray that the people closest to me, who are being my 'Good Samaritan' do not get fed up of the constant rescuing and re-rescuing of the same, injured soul.
I promise that one day, hopefully in the not too distant future, I can return the kindness and love to you. But in the meantime, for the phone calls, the meals, the turning up on the door step, the complaining, the crying, the hugs, the honesty and the silence (Samaritans, you will know which of these apply to you!)
Thank you.....and please, don't leave me, yet!
3 comments:
I thought it was a good message too. I was sort of glad it wasn't one of those "discuss with the person sitting next to you" moments. If you know what I mean.
I'll bring the car on the 28th as it's the donkeys day off!
We wouldn't have needed words Keith, looks would have sufficed (and they did!)
we are glad (right word??!) to be with you just now. We all have times when we can 'give' and times when we need to 'receive' so accept where you are.....we'll all be round for meals & hugs in the future!
Post a Comment