Friday, 4 January 2008

Some days, it's just not worth getting out of bed!

Thursday was a good day. At least, that is, up until 5pm.

I was invited out for tea. Lovely, time with my cousin, husband and their new baby. I opened the garage, key in ignition turned.

Nothing. Well, that's not strictly true. There was 'something'. But not the 'right' thing. Tried again. Same.

I rang Jo and told her I'd be late. The AA only took 20 minutes to come. He started started my car before telling me, "drive out of the garage but make sure you leave the engine running when you get out."

I reversed. Turned off the engine. Went to sign the paper work.

"Have you turned that engine off???" Silly me. Unhappy AA man.

It wasn't long before I was on the road. It's only a 30 minute journey. Or should be. I'd done about 10 minutes of the journey before I saw blue lights flashing behind me. I slowed down and pulled towards the left to allow the blues and twos room to drive round me. They followed and slowed too. I stopped. Oh my, what had I done now?! The policeman got out and approached my now open window.

"Excuse me madam" (in the most appropriate "'ello, 'ello, 'ello' what do we 'av 'ere then" voice you can muster!) "Do you know it's illegal to drive with only one headlight?"

I pleaded innocence and promised to get my broken headlight a new bulb asap.

I eventually got to Jo's. We had dinner. Talked. Laughed. I cleared the table while they bathed Isaac. The lid fell off the ceramic butter dish, hitting their slate, kitchen floor. It almost seemed to hesitate before smashing into too many pieces to count.

Oh dear. Anyone know where I can get a black butter dish?!

4 comments:

Liz said...

http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=579245&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Enextag%2Ecom%2Fblack%2Dbutter%2Ddish%2Fsearch%2Dhtml

Dawn said...

thanks. you're great - was thinking a little closer to home though!

Liz said...

Can't you mail order?? Where did they get their's or haven't you 'fessed up yet?

Dawn said...

Of course...they handed me the hoover!