In yesterday morning's meeting, Keith mentioned us, our opinion of ourselves and the fact that, being made by God, however wonky our smile is, however crooked our nose is, whatever there is that we dislike about ourselves, we should simply love ourselves, before we are truly able to love anyone else.
It reminded me of a conversation I heard a few years ago, an acquaintance (who was single), when asked if she would be happier if she had a partner said, "If I can't be happy with myself, how will I ever be happy with someone else?" I guess to a certain extent, that's true. We can't have someone else to make us accept ourselves. Someone else loving us doesn't necessarily mean we are able to love ourselves.
Last night, while checking out 'facebook' (not a habit I'm going to get into!) I saw an old friend from Sixth Form, had left rhe following quote on his site:
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, which frightens us most. We ask ourselves, "Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and famous?" Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in all of us. And when we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."
Hmmm, an interesting quote, I have 'bolded' (?!) the bits that initally stood out to me, though the more I read it, other sentences stand out instead!
Maybe I need to stop focusing on what I'm not and focus on what I am - what God made me to be.
No comments:
Post a Comment