Monday, 25 June 2007

Identity Crisis!

Facebook. Email. Blogging. Texting. I spend my life being in contact with people. That's great. I love it. But when is enough, enough. How much is too much?

Considering I love all these forms of communication, surprisingly I am actually quite a private person. I'm not really one for sharing everything!

Over the past week I have heard a couple of reports on TV and seen in a couple of newspapers reviews on Facebook, which is currently taking over the world. It was describing it like an online Big Brother - everything being seen by anyone who accesses it.

It has started to bother me. There are security settings and privacy settings - levels that I can set. But surely I can only control this to a certain extent.

While I consider myself and my feelings, I have deactivated my Facebook account. Here's to a few weeks of anonymity.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

thats why u had dissapeared of my friends list... it really really confused me... i was trying to find ur site for about 20mins lol, oh well!
its a good idea though... dont think ive got enough will power though!!

Keith said...

I agree totally. Personally I feel that 1) before blogging who how much of this information would you divulge and to whom? It's like one has to log every event in their lives and wait to see who is interested.

2) blogging and facebook are badged as inclusive "come on everyone it's great, you should really do it" but in reality they are quite exclusive. People only comment on certain other peoples blogs and it's nice to be a invited as a friend on facebook (still not sure of the purpose) but what about those who here all the chatter but are not invited - they might feel excluded - mighten they?

I've tried to get in with the in crowd and join in, but I really can't be bothered to spend every spare minute checking all the sites and comments - I have some sort of life, I think I'll just live it and not worry about scripting it for the world to analyse.

Jude said...

I agree Facebook is scary but when I got a friend invite from Heather Ballentine and realised I could finally get back in touch with Kathryn I couldn't of bin happier. Finding old friends is the amazing thing of Facebook. I've met my housemate thru Facebook I found out my mate is engaged and many other happy events that I would neva have known & yea it's not like my life is incomplete without this knowledge but it makes me happy that I've lost touch with people over the last couple of years after spending 10 or so years with them and I can still catch up with their latest news.
.... I dunno I get freaked out by the internet constantly esp. when people add me to stuff that I really don't know ar least on facebook I can decline friends and not feel bad about it coz I'm neva gonna c them anyway!

Dawn said...

Maybe the difference with blogging and facebook - blogging I do for me, not who's going to read it, facebook is with the intention of other people looking at it.

? ? ?

Anonymous said...

Yah Dawn - thats it for me too. I used to keep my blog really impersonal because I didn't want everyone knowing my deepest feelings, but I am really trying to open that up a bit more, and I am finding that blogging helps me to do that.

Facebook, I know what you mean - it is so open. I like having it as an easy way for people to get in contact with me or so that I can see my friends photos, and keep in contact more often with people- particularly uni friends, but it is much more uncontrolable than my blog.

I am with you - I blog for me, not for anyone else. (Though its also wonderful that other people choose to share in it with me). I started it as a place to put down all the 'stuff' in my mind that was driving me crazy! I actually think it has been really good for me.

Graeme said...

I pretty much agree with Keith - I actually think they de-personalise (if that's a word!) relationships. I use them because they're currently the "in vogue" way of keeping up to date with what your friends are getting up to!!

Liz said...

Did you turn your phone off too?

Keith said...

Maybe it's a girl thing Graeme!

By putting your personal stuff in the public domain isn't part of the purpose to see what other people think? Or wouldn't you just keep a diary?

Perhaps I'm just too old and grumpy to get my head around it!

Fiona said...

Bah Humbug!!!

There used to be a muppet sketch about you two!!

Ann said...

Nothing compensates for a good old chat over a coffee or a currey !

Liz said...

Those fajita's look GRRRRREAT!!

Dawn said...

You'll be pleased to know that THIS time, we had all the ingredients!