Sunday, 22 February 2009

Life Restore


On Thursday, I had the pleasure of looking after my nephew for a few hours. Loving 'In the Night Garden', I wondered what entertaining features would be on the CBeebies website and proceeded to investigate.
After clicking the various options I was prompted to install a trustworthy program to allow it to all work properly. This I did.
Later on, I decided that as I wouldn't be a frequent 'In the Night Garden' website visitor, I may as well remove the installed program - more programs equals slower PC.
Having uninstalled the program, I attempted to open Internet Explorer - my access to the outside world, and was bleeped at very loudly and thrown a large error message. I couldn't believe it. It obviously had something to do with the action I had just carried out. Gutted.
At almost midnight, I decided that there wasn't a lot I could do, so went to bed, dreading the thought of not being able to sort it until I got home in a few days.
Fortunately, Dad being a PC World customer too, he had all the numbers I needed to call the people who 'can'.
The very helpful chappy on the other end of the phone very calmly explained that a 'system restore' - taking the computer back to where it was before the error, should solve the problem. I put the phone down, followed his instructions and committed to ringing back if it didn't work. Sitting on tenderhooks for the next few minute (which seemed like a lifetime), I watched as the computer flashed up various confusing (to me!) messages before turning itself off.
I was scared to turn the PC back on, waiting just a little longer - not that it was going to help, but somehow thinking it would!
It worked. Everything is back how it was and my PC is now functioning at a time before the problem occurred.
In the current climate, it got me to thinking. I sometimes wish life was like that. Something goes wrong, we take a wrong turn, we get ill and wouldn't it be good if we could press a little button and take ourselves back to before it all went pair shaped. A 'Self-restore' button would solve all of our problems.......wouldn't it?
I'm actually not convinced.

No comments: