Tuesday, 4 December 2007

Scattergories.

(This lily happens to be called Scatterbrain!)


Last night was our House Group Christmas party. We all met at Brian and Jill's for a meal, which incidently, was lovely. Following the eating, Jill and Brian decided it was game time.

Scattegories is the now, commercial name, for a very simple game that many people play/have played and call many different names. For my family is was 'Animal, Vegetable and Mineral'. Not that we ever had 'mineral' as a category (who knows enough of them?!), but the name stuck.

Jill gave out the paper, Brian the pencils. Jill called out the categories as we all wrote them down. The starting letter was chosen and off we went.

The rules were quite strict (or should I say, bizarre) - I wasn't allowed Dark blue for a 'D' colour, but I was allowed Dusky pink ???? !!!!!!

But it was so reminiscent of 'the old days'. Sunday afternoons at home with my Grandparents. Grandma Watson knowing every flower and tree under the sun - for every letter of the alphabet, Grandma Ord making them up! Grandad Watson 'resting his eyes', but then whispering answers if we'd managed to position ourselves close enough (then stealing our pen and paper to spell the latin names correctly!).

Oh those were the days. And I miss them.

9 comments:

Keith said...

It was a good evening, and they sound like great memories Dawn that will stay with you forever.

I still miss my Grandad and go past his flat everyday going to and from work (even though there are probably quicker ways to go!) I have good memrories of times we spent him (trying to watch Doctor Who while he sat up at the dinner table tapping his finger nails on the wood - and us getting cross but not being too unkind to him) - good times.

I only remember Farv, as my nan died when I was 2 (i think) and I didn't know my dad's mum and dad at all, even though they lived for sometime into my life.

Another insight into my life - goodness, commenting on your blog seems to make me be unusually open.

Dawn said...

I love it Keith! I'm glad you're happy to tell me....even though my millions of blog-fans get to read it too!

Been quite reminiscent lately, actually - remembering this time last year is not particularly nice.

Nic said...

It's amazing what the brain stores and what it hides. I am not very good at remembering things, but reading your blog brings back lots of memories that make me smile and feel sad at the same time. We have been blessed with 4 wonderful Grandparents, only one of whom is still with us.

God bless Grandma and Grandad Watson, Grandma and Grandad Ord...

Dawn said...

Nic, that's the only bit I can ever remember...maybe that's significant, but what came next?

Nic said...

God Bless Grandma and Grandad Watson, Grandma and Grandad Ord.

God Bless Alison, Karen and Joanne, Susan (was replaced by Emily - Bless her!) Sarah, Simon, Philip and Timothy.

God Bless Mummy and Daddy and make Nicola and Dawn good girls, for Jesus' sake, Amen.

Night night, God Bless, See you in the morning, Don't make a sound (that was my bit!)

Anonymous said...

Aaaah! I had God bless mummy, daddy, Lee, Kirsty, Dale and Rowan. I always used to sing teach me how to love thee before going to sleep too. Lee's song was Enter, enter. I don't know if Dale and Ro had one!

Dawn said...

Oh Nic, you've really made me laugh! I didn't remember we did the cousin bit. That's hilarious!

Liz said...

We used to sing Gentle Jesus Meek and Mild when I was a little'un, but to my shame and horror I don't remember the prayer any more, but I have had 18 more or so years longer than you lot to forget it.

Joe's was 'P is for prayers that I say every night, before I'm tucked in and they turn out the light. Bless Mummy and daddy and all girls and boys, help me to be good and bless all my toys., and if I've been naughty, forgive ne again and I'll try to be better tomorrow - AMEN...and then we would ask God to bless everyone that we knew . It was from a book that I had a a little girl that began 'A is for Angel with shining white wings...etc '

Dawn said...

And did Joe remember all those words?!