Wednesday, 25 July 2007

Greed and selfishness



I cannot imagine how it must feel to watch your house, belongings and memories drowned like in the recent floods in the UK. I have watched the news in despair over the past week wondering what do these poor people do now.


Water has now become as issue - some of us just about cope on holiday when we are advised to buy bottled water for cleaning teeth, never mind have a complete lack of running water. My heart seriously goes out to these people.


But yesterday, I watched, as a lorry pulled into a supermarket car park full of bottled water ready to be distributed. There was a limit, of course, to two packs per family. This is hard to monitor - two people from the same household could go and get 2 packs each, without being noticed, but what struck me was the blatant greed and selfishness of people who grabbed as much as they could for themselves, quite openly. They wheeled their water-laden trollies down the street, passing people for whom, there was no water left.


Even when challenged by the media who were covering the story, there were people who made excuses, claimed the rule was 'two packs per person' - anything to make it look like the accusers were in the wrong.


Selfishness stinks.

2 comments:

Liz said...

Yeah I saw that! I also saw the guy who was wading down his road with two empty bottles trying to get neighbours to donate some water for an elderly lady who lived on the corner - she was 90. The TV cameras hung about and it was 1/2 an hour before he came wading back. God bless him - what a star!

Joe said...

I agree completely! Selfishness sucks. Think of ALL the things you could do without any worry if people weren't so greedy.