Wednesday, 20 December 2006

Frustrated Conviction.

I've just watched a TV program on channel 4 called 'The Secret Milllionaire'. Basically it's about a guy who earns mega-bucks through his own business in London, his need to teach his 20 year old son a thing or two about life and his wish to donate some of his millions to deserving people who will help make a difference.

The progam followed him and his son moving onto a needy estate in Middlesbrough (see the connection?!) Nobody knew about their money, but for 10 days, they became part of the commuity and eventually chose three different causes to donate £10,000 to.

1) a hairdressers, where the owner has a wish to train as many young people as she can so they can get a job
2) a church luncheon club which serves meals to lots of people who otherwise would not get a hot meal
3) a rehabilitation centre for homeless people

But rather than thinking it was great, it just really wound me up.

What am I doing?

Here I am, apparently a Christian....sorry Salvationist....saved to serve....

....Saved to serve?????

Pah! What serving am I actually doing?

How am I actually making a difference, not with my cash (hmmm, that would be tricky!) but with me, my talents, my faith in action?
________________________

I had the absolute privilidge on Monday being at my Grandma's funeral. During the service, again and again it was said how she made a difference to people's lives because of her faith. That's how people knew her, that's why it was standing room only, she wasn't just a nice person - she had a faith...and it made a difference.

I had a privilidge over all my cousins (and there's lots of us) who were also present on Monday. Ok, they knew Grandma, but unlike them, I knew Grandma's faith and ok, you can't separate the two, but I saw something in her that they never saw. I saw her as the YPSM, I saw her at the mercy seat, I saw leading people to Christ. I saw her giving people their first bible. I saw her talking to and sitting with the person who everyone else avoided, even up to the end of her life. I saw her faith in action week after week after week at the corps and outside.

Kind of two blogs in one there, but there is a link.

What difference am I making?
If I was to die tomorrow, would it matter?
My faith is helping me, without it I would not have had the strength to get through these past weeks in quite the same way, but isn't my faith about more than that? But surely it shouldn't stop at me and God?

Saved to serve?

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dawn you totally just summed up what i was trying to say in my blog.

Dawn said...

Great, I think!

Unknown said...

Hi Dawn, As you know my Grandpa died on the 15th November and he was one amazing man, his faith is something that completely challenges me, he truly believed God could do anything - I hate to admit this but sometimes I question that, question whether he can take cancer thats filled everypart of someones body away - anyway going on and on. My grandpa wrote this for something (not sure what)

21st Century Miracle


At the editor’s request I am pleased to put into writing my recent experiences in the hope that it may strengthen your faith and belief in the power of God to help

When I was admitted to hospital last year and was informed that an operation on my spinal chord was necessary I had to think long and hard before giving my permission especially as we had been told by the surgeon that it was a fifty-fifty chance that matters would be successful Realizing that the only way forward was to undergo the operation we agreed to give our permission

Much of the time immediately prior to the operation was spent in prayer – my own prayers, those of my loved ones and the many friends of the Corps The day of the operation dawned and I entered the operation theatre feeling quite calm and relaxed The next thing I can recall is coming round in the recovery ward and my immediate re-action was to say to the nurse “Thank you and thank God that’s all over”

Eventually I was transferred to a Rehabilitation Unit and on numerous occasions was told by medical staff that I would never walk again Each time I was told this my response was “In the book I read I read of a man who threw away his walking sticks when he met the right Person and also of a group who cut a hole in a roof to lower their friend to the feet of one who could heal I believe that this can still happen today”

I am very pleased to report that following the treatment I have received from the latest Rehabilitation Centre I am now able to walk around my bungalow with the help of a frame and also short distances with my wheeler

This I put down to my own faith, the love and all the prayers that were offered up to God on my behalf For all the concern and practical help of all the Corps folk I shall always be grateful

I do trust that these words of mine will encourage others who are perhaps finding life a little difficult

Brian Hills

ANYWAY - moving on with this - at the funeral I had the same thought as you, what am i doing to serve?!?!?! Can people see that I have faith?

After reading your blog it hit me so hard that just the way you are dawn, people can see jesus in you (and Kirsy dont even get me started on you)you can make people think about God without even realising it, when your talking to other work friends, parents whatever and say your in the salvation army, dont you think they wonder why? I do think we put to much pressure on ourseleves, if we openly, not shamefully talk about our beliefs and what we get up to of a weekend, carolling, church etc, that might be touching peoples lives without even realising it.

And Kirsty if your reading this - you have a short memory, wasnt if you not so long ago that got the WHOLE corp involved with raising money for the water shed appeal?!?! Your amazing people and dont forget that!

Rachel Hills

Dawn said...

Thanks Rach x

Anonymous said...

yeah, thanks Rach